Care & Maintenance
Care and Maintenance of your louvers will keep them looking good and increase the life of the product. Regular maintenance is also a condition of the Breezway Warranty. More regular maintenance will be required in harsh environments such as coastal locations.
Maintaining aluminum finishes
Regular maintenance of the surface finish will be necessary to reduce the rate of weathering. The frequency of cleaning will depend on the environmental conditions, but as a guide should be done at 3 monthly intervals, or more frequently in aggressive coastal or industrial environments.
- Remove loose deposits by gently brushing or hosing.
- Clean using a sponge or soft brush and warm water with a mild detergent. Avoid cleaning agents with a caustic base, abrasive materials or harsh chemicals.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Dry with a chamois (optional).
- Apply a ‘non-abrasive’ car polish to maintain the lustre of the finish (optional).
Glass blades should be cleaned with mild, non-abrasive detergents at maximum intervals of 3 months (more frequently in aggressive coastal or industrial environments). Breezway low e glass blades should be installed with the coated side facing the inside of the building. All glass blades should be cleaned using clean, lint-free cloths or towels and mild, non-abrasive detergent, or a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 10 parts clean water.
Fingerprints can be removed from satina glass blades using a cleaner with a 10% isopropanol detergent (eg Windex Original) and lint-free paper towel. When cleaning, the surface of the paper towel used should be changed frequently to avoid spreading fingerprints. Clean sheets of paper towel should be used to dab the satina glass dry.
Abrasive or harsh detergents and cleaning tools should not be used to avoid scratching the glass or visibly damaging any low e coatings.
Wood louver blade finishes
Wood blades are a natural material and as such will be susceptible to color variations and natural movement. Prior to installation or exposure to weather, all wood blade surfaces must be finished with a suitable exterior grade sealant. The finish used should be ‘non-tacky’ or ‘abrasion-resistant’ to avoid blades sticking together when closed. Dark colors can cause wood movement. The surface sealant should be re-applied to the sealant manufacturer’s instructions to avoid weathering of the wood and minimize wood movement. The product warranty will become void if these actions are not adhered to.
It is recommended that inspection be carried out at the time of installation and then at yearly intervals. This may be required more frequently depending upon the variation of location, and environmental conditions.
Inspection and checks
- Inspect all fittings and screw fixings for firmness.
- Ensure that all Stronghold System pins (if present) are firmly clicked in place.
- Check the louver clips for any degradation over time.
- Check that the blade is firmly and safely positioned in the clips./li>
- Ensure all louver blades operate freely.
- Ensure that seals are in place and clean.
- The Powerlouver Window should be operated at least once per month.
All internal louver operating mechanisms are pre-lubricated, prior to assembly, with a clear lubricant where required. Under normal conditions this will be satisfactory for the life of the window.
View/download Care & Maintenance